If you have to move, the following agencies may be able to help you find low-cost housing, tenant friendly landlords, or rental assistance.

Salvation Army


Rent assistance, job training, counseling, emergency food baskets, and many other services are available. For rent assistance call on Monday morning at 9:00 am. It is first come, first served.

St. Vincent de Paul, Vancouver


Rental assistance, food bank, clothing and other services are available. Client must live in the Greater Vancouver area. Rental assistance for tenants with an eviction notice or families with children.

Share Aspire

448-2121 ext. 305

Rental assistance: This must be your last resort. You must exhaust all other resources. Referrals can be made from the Housing Justice Project.

Transitional housing: Housing for up to two years with case management and support services. You must be referred by a counselor or social service agency.

Community Services Northwest

317 E. 39th Street

Drop in services for individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Housing case managers available and supported housing opportunities. Open every Tuesday from 1:00 - 2:30 pm.

Tenant Education Program of Clark County


A six week rental education program designed to help you be a successful renter and overcome barriers such as no rental history, eviction, and bad credit. Call for application.

Second Steps Housing


Transitional housing for women and families. Not emergency housing. Applicants must be homeless and able to pay low rents. Call for application

Veteran's Assistance Fund


Housing, utilities, food, prescriptions, transportation. You must have lived in Washington for one year and you must have an eviction notice. There is an application.

211 Info — A referral service

 211 toll free or text your zip code to 898211
  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

211info.org211info.org will assess your situation and give you referral information.

Council for the Homeless Housing Solutions


For temporary emergency shelter. Accessible 7 days a week. Women, families and couples, call from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Single men, call from 11:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Back to Getting Started

There are low-income housing properties not owned by the VHA. To find them use HousingSearchNW.

HousingSearchNW.orgHousingSearchNW.org is a free online affordable-housing locator service listing properties in the state of Washington.

vha front desk assisting resident

If you have not participated in a housing program before, do not worry. We have helped thousands of people work through this process. We will answer the questions most commonly asked, and help you find more information on other pages where a short answer is not enough.

Can you help me get into housing today?

Help with housing begins with knowing what you need

Are you currently homeless or need emergency housing?

VHA does not provide emergency housing, but we can connect you with organizations with resources to help you today. If you are homeless and need emergency housing, please call the Council for the Homeless Housing Solutions at 360-695-9677.

Do you need help paying your rent?

There are many organizations in our area with resources that can help you if you are in a temporary financial crisis:

  • Get emergency funding for rental assistance
  • Help with food for your family
  • Employment resources

Find local community resources

Are you looking for long-term housing?

Vancouver Housing Authority focuses on long-term housing solutions. We can help you work through the process to get into housing that will work for you in the long run. Our housing programs provide opportunities for people struggling to get into long-term housing because of income, disability, or special needs challenges.

VHA programs include:

  • Subsidized Housing owned and/or managed by VHA
  • Section 8
  • Affordable non-subsidized housing
  • Special Needs housing
  • and more...

Learn about our Housing Programs

Am I eligible for housing?

Eligibility for housing assistance

Eligibility for most housing programs is based on your annual income, family status, citizenship, and eviction/disqualification status.

  • Annual Income

    Each program has requirements specific to that program.

    Every year the the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sets income level requirements for housing based on the Area Median Income (AMI). "Area median income" is simply the middle income for households in our area. All sources of income for your family are added together to find your annual income. You may be eligible for housing assistance if the yearly income for your family qualifies as low-income, very low-income, or extremely low income.

    • Low-income: 80% of the area median income
    • Very low-income: 50% of the area median income
    • Extremely low-income: 30% of the area median income

    Income limits are different for different programs. Income limits are also based on the size of your family.

  • Family status

    You must meet the income requirements for your family (household) size. Income limits are set at 50% of the area median income and below based on the number of family members.

    To determine if your family is qualified for a program, you will find the number of persons in your family, and compare the annual income for your family with the same number of persons in family and qualifying income level for the program. Using the chart below as an example, if you have 5 family members and your annual income is $33,000, then your family qualifies for low-income and very low-income housing programs.

    Number of persons in family30% (Extremely Low Income)50% (Very Low Income)80% (Low Income)
    1 15,400 25,700 41,100
    2 17,600 29,350 46,950
    3 20,160 33,000 52,800
    4 24,300 36,650 58,650
    5 28,440 39,600 63,350
    6 32,580 42,550 68,050
    7 36,730 45,450 72,750
    8 40,890 48,400 77,450
    9 45,050 51,300 82,100
    10 49,210 54,250 86,800
  • Citizenship status

    At least one member of the household must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident. A full name and social security number must be provided for all family members. If any family member is not a legal resident and does not have a social security number, please contact us at 993-9528 for an alternate ID.

    Citizenship requirements may vary per program and/or property. Please read the requirements for each available property carefully.

  • Eviction/disqualification status

    In general, your household may not include:

    • Any person with an eviction history
    • Any person that committed any fraud or who currently owes money to VHA or any other federal housing assistance program
    • Any person with a drug conviction
    • Any person with a lifetime registration under a state sex offender registration program

Additional screening criteria may apply to a specific program or property.

Check income limits for programs:

Section 8Subsidized Housing | Senior Housing | Special Needs Housing | Housing for families | Affordable non-subsidized housing | Assisted Living

Additional Information

Some properties have eligibility requirements. Certain properties are only for seniors, families, persons needing assisted living, or persons with special needs. Some properties are only available to smaller families because there are not enough bedrooms for larger families. You will need to read the frequently asked questions (FAQs) carefully when you apply to be certain that you are eligible for each property.

Check property income limits

You may be eligible for one or more than one housing program. You may apply for the wait list for each property that you qualify for on our open wait list for Section 8 and Subsidized Housing. You may also apply for any Affordable Non-subsidized Housing VHA owns or manages as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.

To learn if you are eligible for any of our programs, please visit the Housing Programs Information page, and learn more about the programs that are available through the VHA.

How do I apply for housing?

How to apply for housing

The three main program areas are Subsidized Housing, Section 8, and Other Housing Programs. You may be qualified for one or more program. You may apply for any housing that your family is qualified for with VHA. Please consider your options carefully. You may want to apply for other low-income housing while you wait for Subsidized or Section 8 housing due to long wait times.

Step 1: Choose a housing program

  • Step 2: Check eligibility

    Each Subsidized Housing program has eligibility requirements specific to the program. Subsidized housing includes programs for:

    • Housing for families
    • Seniors
    • Special Needs

    Learn more

    Step 3: Follow the steps to apply for Subsidized Housing

    We created a step-by-step guide to help you apply for Subsidized housing.

    Follow the steps to apply

    Step 4: Get applications

    You may apply for any housing with an open wait list as long as you qualify for the program and any eligibility requirements for that property. You may apply for each open wait list as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.

    Subsidized Housing applications for open wait lists can be downloaded on the open wait list, or you can come ot the VHA front desk in our main office and ask for applications. Completed applications must be brought to the VHA main office front desk, or mailed to us at 2500 Main Street, Vancouver, WA 98660.


  • Step 2: Check eligibility

    The Section 8 program vouchers help families afford safe, decent housing. There are two types of Section 8 vouchers available.

    To receive a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), you must have a referral for the program and meet the income requirements set each year by HUD. HCV include special programs such as Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) for veterans and Family Unification Program (FUP) for families with foster children and foster children that are aging out of the system.

    Section 8 Project Based Vouchers (PBV) are a bit different because they provide housing in a particular unit, and not to the family. Your family must meet Section 8 income limits, and the requirements of the property. You can apply for all PBV properties that you are eligible for on the open wait list.

    Learn more

    Step 3: Learn how to apply

    Apply for Housing Choice Vouchers: Section 8 HCV require a referral, and allow you to choose a home for your family.

    Apply for Project Based Vouchers: As long as your family meets the eligibility requirements, you can apply for all PBV properties on the open wait list.

    Learn how to apply for Section 8

    Step 4: Apply

    You may apply for any housing with an open wait list as long as you qualify for the program and any eligibility requirements for that property. You may apply for more than one property as long as you are eligible.

    Section 8 HCV VASH FUP Open wait list PBV

  • Other housing options are available

    If you are not eligible for Subsidized Housing or Section 8, you may be eligible for one of our other housing programs. You may take advantage of other housing options that are available if you ware waiting for Subsidized or Section 8 Housing too.

    Affordable non-subsidized housing

    VHA owns and manages several non-subsidized affordable housing properties. Rent for these units is based on income and meant to be affordable for those earning less than 80% of the area median income.

    There are other low-income housing options available in Southwest Washington too.

    To apply for affordable non-subsidized housing, you must contact the property management company.

    Learn more

    Do you need Assisted Living?

    If you need help with housekeeping, medication managment, and other daily activities, you may want to learn more about Assisted Living. VHA Assisted Living properties are managed by property management companies. You will need to contact the property management company to apply.

    Learn more

What do these terms mean?

Housing agency acronyms and terms

Some words and phrases have special meaning for public housing agencies. If you are not sure what something means, it might be in our glossary of acronyms or terms.

See the Glossary

Do you have more questions?

Get more information

We have tried to answer the most common questions people have, but we may have missed something. Please get in touch with us if you cannot find the answer to your question on our website.

Contact us

If you have a suggestion that will help improve our website, please share it with us so we can be more effective helping people in Clark County connect with housing solutions.

Website feedback

The Section 8 program at Vancouver Housing Authority includes both Housing Choice Vouchers and Project Based Vouchers. Both vouchers help low-income families to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing. Families pay between 33% and 50% of their income for rent.

Housing Choice Vouchers

Housing Choice (or Tenant Choice) vouchers allow a family to choose the neighborhood and unit they wish to live in. Housing Choice vouchers include Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) vouchers for veterans, Family Unification Program (FUP) vouchers for families with children in Foster Care as well as youth aging out of foster care, and vouchers targeted to homeless school children and homeless persons who participate in Health Home medical care coordination.

You can apply for a Housing Choice Voucher by referral only. Please see Applying for Section 8 Housing for more information.

Project Based Vouchers

Project Based Vouchers (PBV) provide housing in a particular unit. Project Based Vouchers have locations throughout Clark County. There are no restrictions on who may apply for Project Based Vouchers, but elderly or disabled persons and families with children who are not receiving any type of rental assistance are given preference on the wait list. Please see Apply for Housing for more information.

If you are homeless or a victim of domestic violence, please see our information about emergency housing.

Do you need help with daily activities?

If you are elderly and frail, disabled, or chronically ill and need help with daily activities, you may qualify to live in a VHA Assisted Living unit. Assistance may be available if you need help with:

  • daily activities
  • medication management
  • transportation
  • meals
  • housekeeping

We can help

Vancouver Housing Authority has two assisted living properties. While owned by Vancouver Housing Authority, these properties are managed by contracted property managers and cannot be accessed through the agency.

How to Apply

You must contact the manager of the apartment complex to apply for Assisted Living apartments.

Section 8 Hours

Section 8 has different business hours than other departments. Visitors are seen by appointment only, except for during walk-in hours:

- Document dropoff only
- No visits or calls

Emergency housing

If you are currently homeless and seeking emergency shelter and/or housing assistance, please call the Council for the Homeless Housing Solutions:

11:00am-2:00pm Sat/Sun

Address change?

If you have already applied for a housing program, please make sure that we always have your current mailing address. Mail returned by the Post Office will cause your name to be removed from the waitlist. You may update your address through the Applicant Portal or by:

  1. Download and print the Update Form for Assisted Housing
  2. Complete the form
  3. Mail the completed form to 2500 Main Street #100, Vancouver, WA 98660-2697

Section 8 Housing Map