Requesting Public Records from VHA

For assistance, or to make requests by letter, email, or phone, contact:
David Overbay, Public Records Officer
Vancouver Housing Authority
2500 Main Street, Suite 200
Vancouver, WA 98660
Telephone: (360) 993-9533
Fax: (360) 694-8369
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Download the VHA's full VHA Public Records Request Policy

Please download and complete the Public Records Request Form.

Public Records requests must include:

  • Name, address, and contact information for requestor
  • Date of request
  • Description of public records adequate to locate the records
  • Whether the requestor wishes to inspect the records or is seeking copies of records

Response to Records Requests

Within five business days of receipt of the request, the Public Records Officer or designee will do one of the following:

  • Make the records available for inspection or copying
  • Send copies to requestor if payment has been received
  • Provide a reasonable estimate when records will be available
  • Contact requestor to request clarification
  • Deny the request citing reason for denial

If a requestor does not receive a response within five days, he or she should contact the Public Records Officer to determine the reason.

Inspection of Public Records

The Public Records Officer will make records available for inspection and copying by appointment during normal business hours, excluding legal holidays. requestors will not remove documents from the viewing area or disassemble or alter any document.

There is no fee for inspecting public records.

The requestor will indicate which documents he or she wishes the VHA to copy.

Cost for Copies of Public Records
  • Black & white copies $0.15 per page
  • Scanning & PDFs, $0.10 per page
  • Mailing - Actual cost of postage and shipping container
  • Other media - Actual cost of reproduction (Color, electronic and/or information provided on a disk or CD-ROM)

Payments by cash, check, or money order payable to “Vancouver Housing Authority”

For large requests, the VHA may:

  • Require a deposit of up to ten percent of estimated cost before making copies
  • Provide copies in installments
  • Require advance payment before providing further installments.

Records Index

There is no single index of VHA records, however indices are maintained for VHA Board Resolutions and Minutes. The Public Records Officer will coordinate with departments to assure compliance with the Public Records Act.

Some Records Exempt from Disclosure

The Public Records Act lists types of documents exempt from public inspection and copying. Other laws also prohibit disclosure of certain records. Some of the exemptions to disclosure that apply to the VHA are listed in Appendix A of the VHA's Public Records Policy.

Vancouver Housing Authority will NOT disclose lists of individuals for commercial purposes.

If only a portion of a record is exempt from disclosure, the Public Records Officer or designee will redact the exempt portions before providing the document.

Special Considerations

If a requestor has not made arrangements to review or claim records within thirty days of notice that records are available, or fails to make payment, the Public Records Officer may close the request.

If requested records contain information that may affect rights of others, before providing the records, the Public Records Officer or designee may give notice and allow time for action by the other parties.

After a request has been filled, if the Public Records Officer becomes aware of additional documents existing at the time of the request, these will be provided to the requestor on an expedited basis.

Requesting Review of Denials

A requestor may send a written petition to the Public Records Officer in order to have any disclosure denial reviewed. The Executive Director will consider petitions and affirm or reverse the denial within two business days following the receipt of the petition by that office.

Within two business days of an initial denial, a requestor may obtain court review. See the Revised Code of Washington (RCW 42.56)Revised Code of Washington (RCW 42.56) for more information.